Fayette County was enacted as a result of the Land Lottery Draw of 1821. The land was ceded from the Creek Indian Nation and five new counties were created: Fayette, Henry, Houston, Dooly, Monroe, and Fayette is therefore an original county (not created from other counties) and the 49th county in Georgia.
At this time, the county went up to present-day Atlanta and over to the other side of Jonesboro. Four counties have been carved in part from Fayette, Campbell (now Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton and Spalding).
Because some of the new settlers were Revolutionary War veterans, it is surmised that they were the ones instrumental in naming the county for Marquis de LaFayette, who fought alongside General George Washington in that war.
Fayetteville was named as the county seat in 1823 and the present-day courthouse in the town square was built in 1825. It remains the oldest courthouse in Georgia and is still in municipal use.
It remained the only city until the 1900's, although there were a number of small communities that had names.
Incorporated cities at the present time are: Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Tyrone, Brooks, and Woolsey.