Press Release

Children of Fallen Heroes Can Apply for “Fry” College Scholarship

Covers Cost of College for Children of Troops Who Have Died in Line of Duty Since 9/11

f t # e
Washington, May 3, 2010 | comments

Congressman Scott announced that the Department of Veterans Affairs will start taking applications for The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, which Congress passed and was signed into law last year. The “Fry Scholarship” expands the New GI Bill education benefits to cover the full cost of a college education for all of the children of service members who have died on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.  

“This scholarship honors the sacrifice of our military families,” Congressman Scott said.  “No one is more deserving of our nation’s support than children whose parent gave their life in military service to our nation.

Fry Scholarship eligibility

  • All children of members of the Armed Forces who have died in the line of duty while on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, are eligible for 36 months of tuition and fees up to the maximum in-state tuition and as well as a monthly living stipend, and book allowance.
  • The VA must begin making payments no later than August 1, 2010 with retroactive payments for children enrolled in college from August 1, 2009 through July 31, 2010.
  • Surviving military children have 15 years to use their benefits, beginning on their 18th birthdays.

When dependents are also Veterans or service members eligible under the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty, Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserves or the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP), then they must relinquish their eligibility under those programs to receive benefits under a Fry scholarship. 

An estimated 1,500 military children will be eligible for the Fry scholarship in 2010.  The “Fry Scholarship” is named in honor of John David Fry, 28, a Texas native who died in Iraq in 2006 while disarming an explosive.  He is survived by three young children.  For more information, visit the VA website at http://www.gibill.va.gov or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-88-442-4551)

f t # e